Sometimes filing your trademark application is not advisable. Please read below when you should not file in Canada.
- If you are trying to get into Amazon Brand Registry, Canada is not the best choice since trademark registration takes up to 26 months in Canada.
- If there is a similar trademark already or you are aware of a competitor who is selling under a similar name. In this case, consider making some changes to your trademark or re-brand completely.
- Please do not submit your trademark application without an adequate trademark search.
- If your trademark is generic, descriptive or immoral, it should not be filed as your trademark will not be registrable.
- If you are a very small business, filing a trademark application may be unnecessary.
- Finally, if your main market is in the US, for example, filing in Canada will not protect you in the US as trademarks are jurisdictional.
To open in a new tab, click: When should I stay away from filing a trademark in Canada?