Some trademarks cannot be registered in India. Some common reasons when a trademark in India cannot be registered are:
- If they lack distinctiveness and likely to cause deception or confusion;
- If they are likely to hurt religious sentiments of any community;
- If they contain any scandalous or obscene matter cannot be registered either;
- Trademarks that are prohibited under the Emblems and Names Act, 1950;
- Trademarks of shapes which are purely functional or necessary to obtain a technical result or which give substantial value to the goods.
To open in a new tab, click: What marks are not registrable as trademarks in India?